Preview

image preview

Authors

Description/Abstract

Photograph of the Lexington Normal School Building, c.1900.

Date Created

1900

Subject Categories

Architecture, Campus Buildings, Housing

Comments

This building, which opened in Lexington in 1823, originally housed the Lexington Academy. The Normal School opened on the Lexington Site as the First State Normal School on July 3rd, 1839 . Only three young women, Sarah Hawkins, Maria L. Smith, and Hanna Damon, registered that first day. Fortunately others came forward and the class of 1840 found itself filled with 25 female students. In 1844, due to space limitations, the school relocated to West Newton. Various entities used the location following the Normal School's move to West Newton. The building has undergone changes over the years, as indicated in this photograph. Today, it is Masonic Hall, still standing in Lexington Center near the common. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Keywords

archives, Framingham State University, normal school, campus buildings

Share

Image Location

 
COinS