Preview

image preview

Authors

Description/Abstract

Photograph of Dwight Hall in the early 1960's.

Date Created

1960

Subject Categories

Architecture, Campus Buildings, Housing

Comments

On April 19th, 1838, the Massachusetts State Legislature passed a bill authorizing establishment of the Normal Schools. Edmund Dwight a philanthropist and member of the first Massachusetts Board of Education, donated $10,000 of his own funds to help establish the Normal Schools. This building was named in honor of Dwight, it was under construction from 1935 to 1937, and houses classrooms and administrative offices. In 1955, an auditorium and gymnasium were built as a separate wing on the back of Dwight Hall. From 1937 to 1969, Dwight Hall housed the library on the second floor.

Keywords

archives, Framingham State University, normal school, campus buildings

Share

Image Location

 
COinS