Preview

image preview

Authors

Description/Abstract

Photograph of Normal Hall c. 1860.

Date Created

1860

Subject Categories

Architecture, Campus Buildings, Housing

Comments

First building on then Framingham Normal School campus. Designed by Alexander Rice Esty, a prominent local architect, the building opened on December 15th, 1853. At the time, there were no dormitories, so students had to take up residency in nearby private homes or commute to school, many of them by train. The shortage of student housing was remedied when the first dormitory was opened in 1869.

Keywords

archives, Framingham State University, normal school, campus buildings

Share

Image Location

 
COinS