Preview

image preview

Authors

Description/Abstract

Photograph of Normal Hall.

Date Created

1860

Subject Categories

Architecture, Campus Buildings, Housing

Comments

The first building constructed on the Framingham campus, formally known as Framingham Normal School. Designed by Alexander Rice Esty, a prominent local architect, the building opened on December 15th, 1853. At the time, there were no dormitories, so students had to take up residency in nearby private homes or commute to school, many of them by train. The shortage of student housing was remedied when the first dormitory was opened in 1869, called the Normal Hall (Dormitory). Designed by Alexander Rice Esty, a prominent local architect, the building opened on December 15th, 1853. At the time, there were no dormitories, so students had to take up residency in nearby private homes or commute to school, many of them by train. The shortage of student housing was remedied when the first dormitory was opened in 1869, called the Normal Hall (Dormitory).

Keywords

archives, Framingham State University, normal school, campus buildings

Share

Image Location

 
COinS